I Think I Just Broke My Toe
Have you broken your toe?
It seems quite reasonable to say that the little toe has evolved over millions of years to locate large, immobile objects in dark rooms and then break.
You get up at night, take a few steps and them POW, the poor little pinky toe gets slammed into the wardrobe, chest of draws or some equally solid object you are sure was not there just a moment ago.
Fractures of the toes can be extremely uncomfortable and limit your ability to perform even the most basic of tasks such as wearing a shoe and walking.
Broken toes are very painful
Initial signs of a fractured toe include:
- Swelling of the toe and surrounding foot
- Change to the shape or position of the toe
- Pain, swelling, bruising and deformity can all accompany a toe fracture
Types of Toe Fractures
There are different types of toe fractures and some need medical help while other just need time .
- Non Displaced Fracture - When the toe fracture has not caused a change in the toe shape or position.
- Crush Fracture - When the bone has been crushed following extreme compression of the bone.
I have seen this injury occur several times in weight lifters who drop dumb bells on their toes.
This type of fracture can be quite dangerous especially if it occurs with damage to the skin as there is a very large risk of accompanying skin and bone infection.
- Displaced Fracture - When the fracture has caused a change in the change of the toe position or shape
Bruising from a broken toe
When Should You Seek Help for a Broken Toe?
If the fracture has not changed the position of the toe there is really not that much that needs to be done apart from manage the pain, reduce swelling and prevent further damage and or displacement.
You should seek help in the following situations:
- Pain extends beyond the toe into adjoining bones
- The toe is deformed or displaced from its normal position
- Skin damage has occurred at the same time as the suspected fracture
- If you are unable to put weight on the foot 24 hours after the injury
So, watch out for those dangerous cupboards that leap out of nowhere in the middle of the night and seek help when something does not look right.
Just call us on 8330 0004 or Book Online
I'd love to chat with you about how we can help you build an amazing life from the feet up.
Director of Complete Podiatry